FOUR PAWS Viet is a Vietnamese NGO - partner of FOUR PAWS International, the global animal welfare organisation for animals under human influence, which reveals suffering, rescues animals in need and protects them. Find out more about our sustainable campaigns and projects on www.four-paws.org.
BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh - an animal welfare project by FOUR PAWS, is located in Ky Phu commune, Nho Quan district, Ninh Binh province. The sanctuary allows greater governmental enforcement of the existing laws prohibiting the abuse of bears for bile extraction, by providing a place for any confiscated or voluntarily handed over bears to be taken to and cared for appropriately. The 1st construction phase of BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh comprises 3.6 ha and is providing a species-appropriate habitat for up to 44 Asiatic black bears. Four big natural outdoor enclosures, two bear houses, a quarantine area and a veterinary clinic form the frame of BEAR SANCTUARY Ninh Binh. An experienced team, including a veterinarian, currently takes care of 27 former bile bears and 2 bear cubs rescued from the illegal wildlife trade. Within the next few years the sanctuary will be expanded to 10 ha and will provide a species-appropriate home for around 100 former bile bears.
You would like to contribute to something meaningful and work with us along our mission? This is your chance. We are looking for dedicated people to enrich our team.
Your contribution will be
- Supporting the lead veterinarian with all duties related to the daily veterinary work and health management of rescued bile bears and other species on occasion
- Assisting with bear health checks including procedure preparation, monitoring anesthesia, venipuncture, venous catheter placement, endotracheal intubation and dentistry
- Assisting with the organisation and execution of bear rescues
- Travelling with the transport team on bear transfers alongside the lead veterinarian
- Supporting the laboratory in regard to coroscopy, cytology and blood work
- Conducting veterinary-related administrative duties such as animal record keeping, pharmacy and equipment inventory, maintenance of the clinic pharmacy, purchasing of veterinary drugs and other materials and equipment
- Caring of bears including cleaning, distributing food whilst adhering to strict safety protocols as well as animal husbandry when required
- Supervising the bear team in the absence of other bear team managers
- Translation of documents between English and Vietnamese
Your profile ideally illustrates
- Minimum 4-year veterinary degree
- At least one-year practical veterinary experience would be an advantage, however a strong attitude and aptitude for learning is of most importance
- Experience in animal care and husbandry is desirable
- Excellent written and spoken English and Vietnamese
- Good knowledge of MS Office
- Willingness to relocate to Ninh Binh province
- Highly motivated, diligent and with exceptional attention to detail as well as a high level of responsibility, personal drive and motivation for continuing professional development with the help of self-study
- Flexibility to travel and work on weekends and public holidays on occasion and at short notice
Our offer includes
- Opportunity to learn
- Extensive training provided in many aspects of veterinary medicine by experienced veterinarians, international specialists and leaders in their fields, for a wide range of species, not only bears, in the fields of internal medicine including, but not limited to, clinical pathology, diagnostic imaging, pathology, soft tissue surgery anaesthesia and dentistry
- Training in various drug delivery methods
- The possibility to attend training courses and conferences
- Training in animal husbandry, animal behaviour, safety standards and emergency procedures
We are dedicated to the principles of equal opportunity, diversity and plurality.
Be part of a good cause and apply for your next professional challenge.