FOUR PAWS has been an active cooperation partner of the Blue Cross of India (BCI) for almost 10 years. Thanks to our cooperation we rescue about 17,000 animals a year in India, which is more than 46 animals a day!
Blue Cross of India is on of India's oldest and most influential animal welfare organisations, founded in 1959. After knowing of each other for many years, in 2010, Blue Cross of India and FOUR PAWS decided to join forces to protect, care for and rescue thousands of animals in India together.
2550 dogs and cats were adopted Last year
- Shelter facilities for rescued animals, including dogs, cats, cattle, goats, horses, donkeys, monkeys, birds and many other rescued creatures. Shelters are located in Guindy (Chennai), Kunnam Village (Kanchipuram District) and Thodukadu Village (Thiruvallur District).
- Round the clock rescue and ambulance service for sick/injured street animals or animals in distress. Also on a daily basis, a professionally trained team rescues injured pets, strays, snakes and cattle that e.g. are trapped in a well (technical rescues).
- Animal Birth Control (ABC) programme which is similar to FOUR PAWS’ CNR programmes. On a yearly basis, approximately 9,000 - 10,000 dogs and cats are sterilised. There are ABC clinics in Chennai, Neyveli and in Puducherry which caters to the ABC of dogs and cats in neighboring local body areas, Govt and private campuses, residential communities in addition to the Greater Chennai Corporation.
- Clinic facilities for pet owners with low income for 365 days a year, manned by qualified veterinarians.
- Water bowl project is an annual initiative since 2013 providing some comfort to stray animals during the unforgiving temperatures during summer. The lack of clean drinking water leads to dehydration and finally death of thousands of homeless animals in Chennai.
- Other activities such as adoption drives, cattle shelter, post-research animal rehabilitation centre and humane education programmes.
10 years partnersship
FOUR PAWS has been an active cooperation partner of the Blue Cross of India (BCI) for 10 years. While their main base is in India, our cooperation has taken us all over the world to help animals in need.
The feeding of stray animals in Chennai
Thousands of stray animals have been starving on the streets of Chennai since there are limited food sources because of COVID-19 lockdown. Our stray feeding programme started on the second day of lockdown and has fed many hungry mouths across the city. Support our work now!
Cyclone 'Fani' in Odisha
In May, BCI received additional funds for the joined Cyclone Fani disaster relief mission
Rabies project in Myanmar
BCI supported the pilot project protects animals and humans from life-threatening infections #DontWaitVaccinate
Mission in Lombok
Our dangerous mission to the Indonesian islands struck by earthquakes that left hundreds of animals in urgent need. Read more here!
The BCI shelter was badly damaged during a cyclone and FOUR PAWS supported with extra funds to rebuild the facilities
Flood in Chennai
A miracle called Sunface
With our partner Blue Cross of India, we rescue animals like Sunface on a daily basis. The BCI team has specialised in rescuing animals from precarious situations on a daily bases.
Stray Animal Care Cooperation
FOUR PAWS (Animal Society Romania) helps BCI on a regular basis with their Stray Animal Care work