CHECKLIST – What to Consider before Adopting a Pet
There are a few things you should be aware of before giving an animal a forever home
Pet adoption is something wonderful. FOUR PAWS encourages everyone who is thinking of getting a pet to first look at their local animal shelter or rescue organisation, to see if the 'perfect' pet is waiting there.
Here are 10 things that you should consider before adopting a pet:
- Make sure you are committed to taking care of a pet in the long-term and understand and can fulfil their needs.
- Think about your lifestyle and what characteristics you are looking for in a pet.
- Ensure that you find a reputable shelter or rehoming organisation who will give you lots of support and advice.
- Be prepared to invest in your pet - veterinary care, equipment, food, and training can be expensive.
- Make sure that you and your chosen pet get to know each other and visit them more than once.
- Ensure that your other pets (e.g. dogs) get along well with your chosen pet by taking them to the shelter.
- Check that your home and your family are prepared for the arrival of your pet.
- Be aware that you need patience. When your pet arrives, everything is new for them and they need time to settle in.
- Bear in mind that it’s worth waiting for the right pet to come along. Don’t give up if you don’t find the 'perfect' pet right away.
- Know that you will definitely feel good about the fact that you’ve given a pet a much-needed home!