Mushroom and chickpea Burgers
A delicious and easy meat burger alternative that everyone will enjoy
You will need a blender or food processor for this recipe
- 250g button mushrooms (halved)
- 1 red onion (cut into rings or half rings)
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup fresh dill (stems removed)
- ¼ cup chickpeas (drained)
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- And some canola oil for brushing
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Clean and cut your mushrooms into halves. Cook in a pan, without oil, until they are soft.
- Cut your red onion into rings and caramelise (cook slowly for a long time with very little oil. Onions are naturally sweet; and when you slowly cook onions over an extended period of time, the natural sugars in the onions caramelise creating a wonderful flavour). Add a little water if it tends to stick.
- Put your mushrooms, half of the onions and all the other ingredients in a food processor. If it’s too dry/ crumbly, add more water or even the brine from the chickpeas; if its too sticky, add more breadcrumbs.
- Pulse until all ingredients look finely diced but not liquid. You want to be able to mould it.
- Using your hands and a spoon scoop out your mixture and make your 4 patties.
- Place them on a lined baking tray and brush with oil.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, flipping them once halfway through.
- Now assemble your burger however you like and remember to add the rest of your caramelise onions as garnish. Enjoy!
Thanks to © Adri Bassi for the delicious recipe!