The demand for plant-based options is increasing. Concerns surrounding sustainability, health and animal welfare are helping to drive the plant-based sector and, as a result, fast-food chains are under pressure to diversify their menus.
FOUR PAWS conducted a ranking depicting the level of effort and performance of some of the international and national fast-food chains on sustainable and innovative food strategies. Are they taking the necessary steps to reduce the amount of meat and fish offered and are they stepping up their game to increase plant-based and innovative meat alternatives?
dean&david and Domino’s Pizza Germany have both signed the commitment towards meat and fish reduction. Will the rest follow suit?
See how your favourite fast-food chain compares to the rest.
*The selected fast-food chains (which are part of the quick-service sector) for this ranking were chosen based on the condition that they offer ‘food on the go’, including meat and / or fish products, with a brand image that is nationally and / or internationally recognised for their mainstream presence.
*Abbreviation for United Kingdom (UK), Germany (DE), Austria (AT) + Switzerland (CH)
The Atlas Challenge ranking is based on FOUR PAWS’ assessment. It provides an overview of the fast-food chains’ performance when it comes to progressive food strategies, which support meat and fish reduction as well as the increase of plant-based and innovative meat and fish substitutes. The reduction of meat products and the availability of plant-based alternatives is key to help lower greenhouse gas emissions and the impact it has on our planet and farm animals suffering in factory farms.
For more information click here.
- Europe’s vegan meat and dairy market is expected to reach €7.5 billion by 2025.1
- The UK is the most developed plant-based market. Total retail sales amounted to €440 million in 2019, followed by France, Germany and the Netherlands.2
- Eating one less beef burger a week would be the equivalent of taking your car off the road for 515 km.3
- Per gram of protein the water footprint of beef is six times larger than for pulses.4
- Worldwide, over 7 billion chickens are kept inside egg factories, laying more than 1.3 trillion eggs per year.5
- The world’s first Lab-Grown Meat Restaurant opened in Israel in 2020, offering cultured chicken.6